This week Katy
and the Friend Friday group are discussing body image. As a dancer that is something I’ve had pushed at me for a looooong time. However, I’ve been blessed to never really struggle with it myself. I know several people who have succumbed to trying to mold themselves into “the perfect” dancer, gymnast, cheerleader, performer, or even the girl next door. It hurts me that anyone would hurt themselves, and so I make it my job to install a positive body image in my daughter. I also, strive to be a strong role model for the boys and girls that I teach dance too.
Anyway, here are my answers to Katy’s questions.
1. Since you started blogging has your image of yourself changed?
No. As I said earlier, I’ve had “ideals” come at me from every side. Fashion blogging is just another angle, and I’m still going to be me no matter what everyone else is.
2. Are you self-conscious about any aspect of yourself? If so, do you go out of your way to avoid it or do you post it/talk about it anyway?
I guess in being completely honest, sometimes I’m shy about my skin issues. However, I do not shy away form posting it or even talking about it.
3. Based on how your feeling now, what do you think the future hold in the evolution of your body image?
Same old, same old…I have a pretty solid opinion of myself that I don’t see changing anytime soon.
4. Do you photograph yourself for you blog? If so, how do you feel about the experience when you’re having your picture taken?
Yes! I usually take my own pictures, or have my husband take them. I guess I don’t have stage fright about it. I’m a performer, so having my picture taken is pretty easy for me.
5. What do you want every person who struggles with body image to take to heart?
This is a tough one to answer, as there are numerous things I want them to know. I guess I’ll sum it up to every piece of a puzzle is different, and we need to put every shape, size, and color together to see the final picture.