This week the Katy and the Friend Friday bloggers are discussing the technical side of blogging. Make sure to check out ModlyChic at her newly revamped home to get the complete list of participating bloggers.
1. What technology do you use in blogging?
Computers I use a both a Sony Viao laptop, and a Chrome OS netbook . It depends on what I’m doing whether or not I need to upload/edit pictures or not. For that type of blogging I use the laptop. For a lot of the writing, reading, business work of blogging I use the netbook. I also use my Droid phone quite often too. I try to get a lot of the small stuff done in my spare time that way too.
Camera Just before Christmas I purchased a Cannon Rebel T2I that I’m still trying to get the hang of. Before that I was using a Sony point and shoot. Because, most of my photos are self-shot I also use a basic tripod.
2. What computer and online technology do you use?
Platforms Of course, I’m currently using Blogger as my platform. In June if I’m still blogging (I hope so) I will be purchasing a domain. At that time I will probably switch to WordPress.org. I’m trying to decide if I should switch to WordPress.com now. I’m not against Blogger (other than the commenting system). Actually, I really like how easy it is to use. I’m pretty novice when it comes to technology, so the fact that I could figure it out on my own was nice. Six months later, and I’ve learned some things (or how to Google the things I don’t know) I may be better able to operate WordPress. I tried it for a couple days, but was just frustrated by it. I switched back ASAP! Can anybody tell me is WordPress.com similar in any way to self-hosted WordPress? Do you think it would be beneficial to switch now, and upgrade when I buy a domain? Or, just wait it out?
Photo Editing Ok, to explain the extra step I have to go through to upload pictures. My husband’s almost five year old laptop’s SD reader is broke, so to use my pictures from my new camera I have four steps.
- I have to upload them to our desktop.
- Move them to Dropbox (online storage space)
- Take them off Dropbox on the laptop
- Edit them through Picasa
That answers questions about my photo editing. Now, about photo storage. As of now they are just kept on the laptop, and Picasa Web Albums (via Blogger)
3. What is your process for taking pictures?
It is really pretty simple when I’m at home alone. I set up the tripod and camera, set the self-timer, and run to my spot. Whenever, Nate takes them or Lyla is home the process is a little more involved. However, I don’t do the work. Nate is sleeping right now, or I would have him explain how he sets up the shot.
Here is my dressed down version
- I pose while he takes a few shots.
- I look at the shots and tell him he needs to zoom in or adjust the focus.
- I run back to my spot, usually followed by Lyla, and resume posing.
- When Lyla starts becoming more of an athlete than a model I go back to Nate check and see if I at least have a handful of decent shots (i.e. eyes open, head and feet both in the shot). If I do we are done for the day. If not, we are still done for the day. If you are a mom I’m sure you know what I mean. If not…have your husband, boyfriend, significant other, or best friend: run around in your shots, throw things towards the camera, pull at your clothes, and beg for a snack because they are “Huncky Mommy, Huncky!!!”
4. When it comes to backdrops for your photos what do you consider? Do you scout locations or shoot the same spot daily?
Usually, I take my pictures in between jobs. That means they are done in my basement in front of a sheet. I like using the sheet, because, then at least I have a non distracting background. When I am lucky and get to take outdoor photos I don’t usually do much considering or scouting. If it looks good to me and isn’t super busy I’ll at least give it a shot.
5. If you could splurge and get one new piece of equipment what would you be buying?
Hmmm…good question?!? I don’t have an answer for you. If Nate was up I know he would have an answer or two for you. Probably a Macbook or a new lens. He has expensive taste, so the list is never ending. However, I think it is sweet that he is actually semi interested in what I’m doing.
Got a question? Ask me at Formspring